"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want rain without thunder and lightning."
See: www.woolamaloo.org.uk for background information.
Great News!Joe Gordon, the bookseller dismissed by his employer for airing his thoughts in a web log ("Blog"), has successfully appealed against his dismissal and has been offered reinstatement. He had, however, been headhunted by The Forbidden Planet chain of specialist bookshops, and an amicable settlement was achieved in place of reinstatement.
Paul Lee, RBA National Officer, said:
"It is good to see that common sense prevailed and pleasing to report that our representations in the internal appeal were well heard and acted upon.I was surprised by the original, local decision to dismiss as Waterstone's has a good reputation in such matters, and the company is generally very open-minded.Things may have been different, however, if commentary such as this had been truly in the public domain rather than in a hard to find blogsite."
- The Johannesburg Mail & Guardian: http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?cg=BreakingNews-Andinothernews&ao=177885
- The Sydney Morning Herald: http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking/Man-fired-over-weblog-accusation/
- The Inquirer: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20679
- The Herald: http://www.theherald.co.uk/31393.shtml
- The Evening News: http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=37832005&20050113091856
- BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4167629.stm
- The Scotsman: http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=33932005 and http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3993609
- The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1388249,00.html
- Rare Book News: http://www.rarebooknews.com/archives/2005/01/blogging_britis.php
- The Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-37-1434739,00.html
- CNET: http://news.com.com/U.K.+bookseller+fires+employee+over+blog/2100-1026_3-5519477.html
- Diverse Books: http://news.diversebooks.com/articles/05/01/07/1051248.shtml
- Silicon: http://management.silicon.com/careers/0,39024671,39126940,00.htm
- The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/waterstones_blog/
- The Bookseller: http://www.thebookseller.com/index.cfm?pid=196
- ZDNet: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/management/0,39020654,39183603,00.htm
- Ken Macleod: http://kenmacleod.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_kenmacleod_archive.html#110551826393727206
- Charlie Stross: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blosxom.cgi/2005/Jan/10#scandal-1
- Neil Gaiman: http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/01/why-automatic-kissing-machines-are-bad.asp
- BoingBoing: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/01/09/waterstones_fires_11.html
- The Alien Online: http://www.thealienonline.net/blog/2005_01_01_tao_ed_archive.asp
- The Rest Of The World: http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?rank=&url=joe+gordon
Please email me any other links you know of. Note: Please don't email any more blog links unless it's a major author/social commentator etc. There are thousands of blogs commenting on this. The Technorati link above should find most of them.